The AFA 2020 Annual Meeting will be held January 3-5, 2020 (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) in San Diego, California.
On this page you will find information on the following:
- General Paper Submission Information for the Regular Program
- FAQs for AFA Annual Meeting Paper Submissions
- Ph.D. Student Poster Session Submissions
- AFA Ph.D. Student Travel Grant Nominations
General Paper Submission Information for the Regular Program
The paper submission site for the 2020 American Finance Association annual meeting is now open.
Please submit your paper here.
The submission deadline is 3:00 PM (EST) March 15, 2019. Decisions will be sent by May 31 to the author who submits the paper.
There is no paper submission fee, but please note that (1) the submitting author must be an AFA member for the paper to be considered and (2) each individual may only submit one paper (although they can be a coauthor on other submitted papers).
NOTE: AFA Membership status will be verified at the time of paper submission. You will need your AFA membership number to complete your submission. Therefore, please complete the following well in advance of the submission deadline:
- Log in to the AFA website. Sign in at the top right. If this is your first time signing in on the new site, you will be required to reset your password.
- Find your AFA membership number. After logging in to the AFA website, navigate to My Profile. Your AFA Membership Number is listed directly above your name.
- Update your AFA profile. Please review and complete your AFA profile at this time.
- Student memberships can take up to 24 hours to become active. If you plan to register as a student member of the AFA, please be sure to register at least one business day prior to submission of your paper.
Please contact the Membership Services team if you have any problems accessing the AFA website or your membership and profile information. If you have problems or questions related to paper submissions, please contact Annette Clark for assistance.
FAQs for AFA Annual Meeting Paper Submissions
The AFA Annual Meeting paper submission process will be hosted by Conference Maker. (The paper submission mechanics for AFA conferences are entirely separate from the Journal of Finance paper submission process).
Please include the name and email for each author on the paper that is submitted.
All papers must be accompanied by an abstract of at least 200 words, but no more than 600 words.
All papers must be submitted as PDF files.
Complete papers will be given preference, but extended abstracts of several pages may also be submitted.
Submitted papers should not have been accepted for publication.
The author submitting the paper to the Annual Meeting must be a member of the American Finance Association for the paper to be considered.
Each individual may only submit one paper (although they can be a co-author on other submitted papers).
You can check that your paper was uploaded correctly by clicking on the "My Submissions" link in the navigation bar within Conference Maker.
To enable wider participation, please submit only one paper and do not submit the same paper to other associations that meet at the same time as the AFA/ASSA.
Ph.D. Student Poster Session Submissions
Ph.D. Student Poster Session Submissions will be open starting in June. Please watch your email and this webpage for additional details.
AFA Ph.D. Student Travel Grant Nominations
This year the Association will again award Travel Grants to doctoral students to help defray the costs of attending our 2020 Annual Meeting. Nominations will open in June. Please watch your email and this webpage for additional details.
Last revised: February 15, 2019