Electronic Submission Information
All papers must be must be submitted electronically. Please note that refereeing at the Journal of Finance is now single-blind-- the identity of the author is known to the referee. Therefore, your title page should contain the title of the manuscript, the names of the authors, and an abstract of not more than 100 words.
Note: authors submitting in response to a “reject and resubmit” decision by Cam Harvey should contact Wendy Washburn at email@example.com for assistance.
Editorial Express only accepts PDF files. In preparing Acrobat files, make sure that all fonts are embedded, and it is recommended that the document be created using Distiller.
Fees for submission are:
High-Income Economies. AFA Members: $200, Non-Members: $250
Middle-Income Economies. AFA Members: $100, Non-Members: $150
Low-Income Economies. No Submission Fee
Click here for lists of economies by income level.
Submission fees will be paid via credit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) as part of the submission procedure.
Return/Refund Policy: The submission fee will be refunded if the editorial decision on a submission is rendered more than 100 days after the receipt of the submission by the editorial office. This refund policy applies only to a manuscript's first submission.
Advice for Authors
A Joint Editorial has been written by David Hirshleifer, G. William Schwert, and Kenneth J. Singleton (Editors, Review of Financial Studies, Journal of Financial Economics, and Journal of Finance), and can be viewed here.
Minimal style guidelines are enforced for manuscripts submitted for review by the Journal of Finance. If the paper is accepted, then authors should follow these more detailed instructions.
1. All submitted manuscripts must be original work that is not under submission at another journal or under consideration for publication in another form, such as a monograph or chapter of a book. Authors of submitted papers are obligated not to submit their paper for publication elsewhere until an editorial decision is rendered on their submission. Further, authors of accepted papers are prohibited from publishing the results in other publications that appear before the paper is published in the Journal unless they receive approval for doing so from the editor.
2. A resubmission of a manuscript that was previously rejected by the Journal of Finance will be immediately desk rejected.
3. The text of the manuscript should be prepared in 12pt type with 1 inch margins and 1.5 inch top/bottom margins. The text should be double-spaced.
4. Footnotes should appear at the bottom of the page on which they are referenced (that is, they should not be endnotes that appear at the end of the document).
5. Tables and figures can appear either embedded or at the end of the manuscript. Please ensure that all variables and graphs are clearly labelled and easily understood.
6. All but very short mathematical expressions should be displayed on a separate line. Equations should be numbered consecutively on the right margin.
7. An abstract, of no more than 100 words, must be entered or pasted into a separate text box as part of the on-line submission.
8. The introductory section should emphasize the incremental contributions of your research. Citations should be kept to the minimum required to clarify and highlight your contributions. The article should end with a brief nontechnical summary statement of the main conclusions.
9. Submissions can include a Supplementary Appendix that might include extra tables, extra figures, data description, and proofs. If the paper is accepted, part of the Supplemental Appendix will appear as an on-line supplement to the paper on www.afajof.org.